We went for Gaurish’s admission to his school and we got his yearbook.
I was telling my son about Swift programming language in iPhone. He started exploring apps to learn swift in app store and installed it in iPad. He started asking questions about overloading , polymorphism etc. I told him its too early for him 🙂
Him exploring the app in iPad during summer 🙂
Kids who are in advanced (gifted program) in school are eligible to attend a summer camp named SCOPE. This was suggested by one of his class teachers. So we joined him. It was a hectic schedule for me and him. Sridhar used to drop him in the morning and by afternoon 1 I need to pick him up. I had just learned driving and so I avoid highways. It makes the drive close to 25 mins. This camp was at Allison Middle School. It was for 4 days a week from Monday to Thursday for the entire month of June. He was exposed to a lot of interesting stuff here
1. Forensic Science – How do they solve crimes in general ? How to follow clues ? Finger print stuff,DNA and what not . I was allowed to join on the last day of each week. I joined for this class as I love this subject. Her teacher had depicted a crime scene and asked us to solve by splitting us into teams. It was so much fun and so memorable. Me and Gaurish enjoyed it.
The teacher on the floor is the one murdered with the blood on her shirt 🙂 Teams are ready and they need to investigate the clues to find the murderer.
2. Soccer – He did get introduced to rules and did some game playing. But he did get tired as it was too hot outside.
3. Building structures – K’NEXtm Roller Coasters – He built a roller coaster model and I just missed seeing it in display as Tanish slept off that day and I could reach there only to pick up Gaurish.He also built a lot of other model structures
Below is the picture of other model structures.
4. Beginning Chess – I had taught him some basics of the game but he learnt some tactical moves in the class and I was happy that we got a slot for this class
5. Beginning Coding – This was one of my favorites. Yes , I love coding and I am the only coder(programmer) in the family till now 🙂 He did a lot of logical coding basics in a tool named Scratch and it was fun for him.
- He did a 2 level (stage) Maze puzzle
- He did a basic cooking type of game in which you can get cash from customer and get utensils for your cooking
- Started creating games (basic ones) with his own idea for his level
He also did intermediate Coding in the 3rd week.
6. Editing With iMovie – He had done movies with iMovie and it just brought me tears as it was really good. Tech stuff 🙂
Link is https://goo.gl/G1bhzk
This has the collection of all the videos made by his classmates.
- His video is Video 8 “SCOPISH”. Just check his character introductions.I am not saying because he is my child but his idea was brilliant
- He also has made the video 19 “SCOPE Spy” . This was an average one.
7. Beginning LEGOtm Robotics – This is one of the classes in high demand and they get filled fast.They give you a kit with which you can program and make the robot to move. Below is the picture of him with his partner in lab 🙂
I had made videos of his robot moving 🙂
The other classes were Puzzle creations, Alfresco Mind Games, Beginning Minecraft and KEVA Contraptions
Gaurish wanted me to make snacks for his entire class at school during Second Grade. I had the idea that I will make something quick and easy like Kesari 🙂 for sweet. But my son was very particular that he will take one sweet and one spicy item (Karam). He also added “If you make Urad Vada my whole class will eat it and they will love it”. So finally decision was made to make Dal Payasam (with Jaggery) and Urad Vada.
I also made a print out of what are the ingredients and nutrition value of each of these items and some fun facts. I went to his class by afternoon and to my surprise his mam Ms.Badgett
- Told me to distribute the snacks with my own hands and I was super excited
- Took my print out and presented it in front of the class on a projector like a study material
My little one was in his stroller watching what all the kids are doing and excited
I had made almost 38-40 vadas for a class of 25 students. Kids loved my vadas more than the payasam.To my surprise, kids came to me and asked for the recipe of Vada 🙂
It was a wonderful experience and my son enjoyed it too.
Gaurish had left his jacket at school on the last day of school. I was scolding him big time as usual and he felt bad too. I mailed his mam Ms.Badgett and she told us to come and collect it at school as she is available for another week. So we went and its good that we went. We took a snap with her which was indeed memorable 🙂
Gaurish said “May be it happened that I left the jacket for a reason as per god’s plan as we were trying to have a snap with Ms.Badgett and it didnt work out for a long time”
Oh yes!!! I agree and how sweet of him to see things so positively 🙂
Well we had a leisure weekend and was thinking what to teach my elder one (7 Yr old) just to keep him occupied. Being a computer programmer I love to teach him my stuff. LOL 🙂
Taught him how to make a power point presentation.He has done an excellent job for a first timer !!
He was fascinated by Transitions and Animation varieties. He has also tried his hands on MSPaint to create his pictures for depicting his content. Drawing or art is not his cup of tea like me :). But it is fun to look back on what he did in future